Once upon a time there was Birmingham: It’s Not Shit. It was a place that reacted against how the local media treated the city, it tried to show the place without polish. People liked it, so they sent in things and to be nice we posted lots of them. But that sort of muddied the waters, and then something happened.
So we’re going for a fresh start.
Paradise Circus—A Manifesto
A Global City with a Local Miscellany
- Birmingham is not shit.
- That’s not to say everything that happens in it is not shit.
- Each has to decide what bits are and aren’t shit for themselves.
- We decide here, this is Paradise Circus.
- Birmingham is not shit but that doesn’t mean we have to churn your press release.
- Birmingham is not shit but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t send the press release about your band or your art happening to all the other really good blogs that might like it, like Created in Birmingham (which is not shit, a lot of the time). Just don’t send it here.
- Birmingham is not shit, is not shit. It’s also not a news source, hyperlocal blog or anything of that sort. It’s now Paradise Circus.
- We will write, film, photo, make and record things about Birmingham. That is all.
- You have the right to respond, we have the right to ignore you.
- We wish you nothing but love (if you’re not shit).
Who are ‘we’
At this point we are Jon Bounds (founder of BiNS) and Jon Hickman, with stuff from Danny Smith.